DISCOVER A NEW FORT NELSON
This imposing Victorian fort is home to the Royal Armouries national collection of artillery – The Big Guns.
Strategically positioned atop Portsdown Hill, with panoramic views across the Meon Valley and Portsmouth Harbour, Fort Nelson is an historic monument, restored to how it would have been in the 1890s. Visitors can access most areas of the fortifications and see how the Fort would have operated.
The museum’s displays trace the development of artillery from pre-gunpowder siege machines to modern-day super guns. There are over 350 big guns on display.
Fort Nelson has just undergone a multi-million pound redevelopment transforming it into a museum for the 21st century. Featuring a new visitor centre, a new café and new galleries, including the magnificent Voice of the Guns gallery.
Admission is free.
You can use Transport Direct to get directions to the Royal Armouries by car or public transport.
- Exit the M27 at junction 11.
- Take the exit signposted for Gosport and Fareham.
- Stay in the left-hand lane, this will take you down a slip road to a roundabout.
Landmark: A railway viaduct on your left.
- At this roundabout take the first left turn, signposted A27 Portchester.
Landmark: Delme Arms Public House on left.
- Stay in the left-hand lane.
- Go through the first set of traffic lights.
- At the second set take a left-hand turn into Down End Road.
- Follow the road up and around for approximately ½ mile.
- Fort Nelson will appear on your left-hand side.
Brown tourist signs for Royal Armouries will help guide you on this route.
Ensure a trouble free journey and check for the latest road traffic information at www.keepmoving.co.uk
At present there is no bus service to Fort Nelson.
Taxi services are widely available in the local area.
Car parking is freely available to the public opposite the Fort, but across a busy road.
Other car parks can be found using Transport Direct.