Suzanne J. Dalewicz-Kitto
Suzanne Dalewicz-Kitto is Preventive Conservator at the Royal Armouries in Leeds.
Suzanne graduated from Cardiff University with a BSc.(Hons) in Archaeological Conservation in 1994. During this time she worked as an onsite conservator on digs both in the UK and on Gozo, Malta. Student work placements included a general conservator at St. Fagans, the Welsh Folk Museum and as an organics conservator for the National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside (NMGM). After a stint as a volunteer with Chester Archaeological Unit, NMGM employed her as a full time metals conservator from 1995 until 2001, working on a wide range of objects that included; European and Japanese arms and armour. Whilst in this position she had the opportunity to work for a month as an onsite conservator in El Raqqa, Syria on behalf of Nottingham University. In 1999 she worked on the collection of the King’s Regiment Museum, Liverpool and my interest in arms and armour was truly caught.
Suzanne has been employed at the Royal Armouries since 2001.
She gained her conservation accreditation (ACR) in 2003 from the Institute of Conservation specialising in arms and armour and she currently is an assessor and mentor with the Institutes accreditation scheme. In the past she has sat on the committees of the UK Institute of Conservation (ICON) Archaeology and Metals sections.
In 2006 she became Conservation Manager and in 2008 Suzanne gained her MA in Museum Studies with the University of Leicester.
From August 2012 until January 2014 Suzanne was interim Head of Collections and Research before returning to her role as Conservation Manager.
From April 2017 Suzanne will take up a new role as the Royal Armouries Preventive Conservator and is looking forward to the challenge of supporting the Royal Armouries three sites.
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S. and Marston, H. (2016) ‘Asbestos in the collection of the Royal Armouries and the conservation of a First World War German gasmask’ Arms and Armour, Journal of the Royal Armouries, Vol 13, No 2, 177-189 (Leeds, Maney Publishing)
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S.J. ‘Stopping corrosion around the world: an investigation into protective surface coatings on arms and armour’ Journal of the Institute of Conservation, Volume 39, Number 1, 2016 , pp44-56
- Cantrill, A. and Dalewicz-Kitto, S. Conservation of a jousting reinforcement, belonging to Emperor Maximilian the 1st’ Arms and Armour Journal Volume 10, Issue 2 (October 2013), pp. 172-182
- Dalewicz-Kitto,S. McLaughlan,F. Schmuecker,E. Hood,J. (2013) Japanese Armour and the Conservation of a Sakakibara Family Armour at the Royal Armouries. Journal of the Institute of Conservation, Volume 36, Number 1, 2013 , pp35-52
- Mildwaters, N and Dalewicz-Kitto, S. (2011). Problems with Protective Clothing: The conservation, storage and display of textiles within arms and armour collections.
- Incompatible Partners? The challenges of Composite Objects. Forum of the ICON textile Group 4 April 2011. The Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Editor Alison Fairhurst, pp 49-58
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S. (2011), Conservation of a flintlock sporting gun by Henry Crisp ICON NEWS July 2011, 32-34
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S (2010), book review Iron and Steel in Art. Corrosion, Colourants, Conservation. Journal of the Institute of Conservation, Volume 33 Number 2 2010 , 201-203
- Kitto. S. J. (2008) Skin Deep: An investigation into protective surface coatings on arms and armour, in The Universal Heritage of Arms and Military History: Challenges and choices in a changing world, pp.215–227
- Kitto. J. S. (2007) Skin Deep: An investigation into protective surface coatings on arms and armour, Abstract of Poster. In Degringny et al (eds). ICOM-CC Metal WG Amsterdam, 17-21 September 2007 Book 5
- Kitto, S.J. (2007) Caring for Firearms. in Museums and Heritage, Issue 1 2007 pp. 23-24
- Kitto, S. (2007), The Future of Indian Arms and Armour Collections: A two day conference and study tour, Rajasthan, India . Conservation News, 2007
- Kitto, S. (2006) International Rescue: An Anglo-Maltese Collaboration. In Robert Smith (ed). Make All Sure: The Conservation and Restoration of Arms and Armour. Basiliscoe Press, Leeds, 56-64
- Kitto, S (2006) The Story of the Little Knight. Max Fun, Royal Armouries
- Kitto, S (2004) Plastics in arms and armour in the Royal Armouries Collection. Arms and Armour Journal, Vol. 1, No 2, 189-203
- Starley, D & Kitto,S. (2003) ‘Survivors’ Review of Science Week 2003 at the Royal Armouries, Leeds. Conservation News May 2003, 28-29.
- Kitto, S. (2000). Back to Basics: surface finishes on metals. Conference report. Conservation News No 72, July, 33-34
- Kitto, S. (1999) Alas poor Yagan. The exhumation of an Aborigine chieftain Conservation News No 68, March, 26-27
- Kitto, S (1998) ‘Beatles discs and butterfly wings’. Conservation News No 67, November, 31-33
- Kitto, S (1997) Conservation adventures in Syria. Conservation News No 74, March, 12-14