Suzanne J. Dalewicz-Kitto
Suzanne Dalewicz-Kitto is Conservation Manager at the Royal Armouries in Leeds.
Suzanne graduated from Cardiff University with a BSc (Hons) in Archaeological Conservation in 1994, and during this time she worked as an onsite conservator on digs both in the UK and on Gozo, Malta.
Work placements included a general conservator position at St. Fagans, the Welsh Folk Museum, and as an organics conservator for the National Museums and Galleries on Merseyside (NMGM). After a stint as a volunteer with Chester Archaeological Unit, NMGM employed her as a full time metals conservator from 1995 until 2001, working on a wide range of objects that included European and Japanese arms and armour.
Whilst in this position she had the opportunity to work as an onsite conservator in Syria, on behalf of Nottingham University. In 1999, she worked on the collection of the King’s Regiment Museum, Liverpool and her interest in arms and armour was truly caught.
Since 2001, she has been employed at the Royal Armouries and currently holds the role of Conservation Manager. As well as caring for the Royal Armouries collection on display and in store at Leeds, we also care for the remaining collection based at the Tower of London.
Through the Armouries, Suzanne has been privileged to be involved in the conservation of the five main armours attributed to Grand Masters of the Order of St. John at the Palace Armoury in Valetta, Malta as well as in the preparation and installation of an exhibition in the Frazier Historical Arms Museum, Louisville.
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S. and Marston, H. (2016) ‘Asbestos in the collection of the Royal Armouries and the conservation of a First World War German gasmask’ Arms and Armour, Journal of the Royal Armouries, Vol 13, No 2, 177-189 (Leeds, Maney Publishing)
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S.J. ‘Stopping corrosion around the world: an investigation into protective surface coatings on arms and armour’ Journal of the Institute of Conservation, Volume 39, Number 1, 2016 , pp44-56
- Cantrill, A. and Dalewicz-Kitto, S. Conservation of a jousting reinforcement, belonging to Emperor Maximilian the 1st’ Arms and Armour Journal Volume 10, Issue 2 (October 2013), pp. 172-182
- Dalewicz-Kitto,S. McLaughlan,F. Schmuecker,E. Hood,J. (2013) Japanese Armour and the Conservation of a Sakakibara Family Armour at the Royal Armouries. Journal of the Institute of Conservation, Volume 36, Number 1, 2013 , pp35-52
- Mildwaters, N and Dalewicz-Kitto, S. (2011). Problems with Protective Clothing: The conservation, storage and display of textiles within arms and armour collections.
- Incompatible Partners? The challenges of Composite Objects. Forum of the ICON textile Group 4 April 2011. The Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Editor Alison Fairhurst, pp 49-58
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S. (2011), Conservation of a flintlock sporting gun by Henry Crisp ICON NEWS July 2011, 32-34
- Dalewicz-Kitto, S (2010), book review Iron and Steel in Art. Corrosion, Colourants, Conservation. Journal of the Institute of Conservation, Volume 33 Number 2 2010 , 201-203
- Kitto. S. J. (2008) Skin Deep: An investigation into protective surface coatings on arms and armour, in The Universal Heritage of Arms and Military History: Challenges and choices in a changing world, pp.215–227
- Kitto. J. S. (2007) Skin Deep: An investigation into protective surface coatings on arms and armour, Abstract of Poster. In Degringny et al (eds). ICOM-CC Metal WG Amsterdam, 17-21 September 2007 Book 5
- Kitto, S.J. (2007) Caring for Firearms. in Museums and Heritage, Issue 1 2007 pp. 23-24
- Kitto, S. (2007), The Future of Indian Arms and Armour Collections: A two day conference and study tour, Rajasthan, India . Conservation News, 2007
- Kitto, S. (2006) International Rescue: An Anglo-Maltese Collaboration. In Robert Smith (ed). Make All Sure: The Conservation and Restoration of Arms and Armour. Basiliscoe Press, Leeds, 56-64
- Kitto, S (2006) The Story of the Little Knight. Max Fun, Royal Armouries
- Kitto, S (2004) Plastics in arms and armour in the Royal Armouries Collection. Arms and Armour Journal, Vol. 1, No 2, 189-203
- Starley, D & Kitto,S. (2003) ‘Survivors’ Review of Science Week 2003 at the Royal Armouries, Leeds. Conservation News May 2003, 28-29.
- Kitto, S. (2000). Back to Basics: surface finishes on metals. Conference report. Conservation News No 72, July, 33-34
- Kitto, S. (1999) Alas poor Yagan. The exhumation of an Aborigine chieftain Conservation News No 68, March, 26-27
- Kitto, S (1998) ‘Beatles discs and butterfly wings’. Conservation News No 67, November, 31-33
- Kitto, S (1997) Conservation adventures in Syria. Conservation News No 74, March, 12-14
To read PDF documents you will need Adobe Reader.
If you do not currently have it installed you can download Adobe Reader for free.