FREE D-Day event at Fort Nelson – June 6 - Tuesday, 1 June 2010
A free day of commemorations to mark the 66th anniversary of the D-Day landings will be held by the Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson on Sunday, June 6.
The immense achievement of the Allied forces – who launched the largest assault landings in history – will be remembered at the Royal Armouries’ museum on Portsdown Hill with gun firings at 12 noon and 3pm.
The commemorative event will also include performances by uniformed actors and special guided tours throughout the day, all with a Second World War theme.
The Royal Armouries marks the anniversary every year, highlighting the nation’s immense debt of gratitude to those who launched the offensive that eventually freed Europe from Nazi oppression.
The Royal Armouries near Fareham, houses the national collection of historic cannon and big guns. The museum has one of the world’s finest collections, with over 350 cannon dating back over 600 years. The collection originated from HM Tower of London and has been on display in Hampshire since 1995.
Entry to the National Museum is free and there is a whole range of attractions, designed to appeal to young and old alike, including secret underground tunnels and chambers to explore.
Notes to editors
- The Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson houses the national collection of historic cannon and big guns. The museum houses one of the world’s finest collections with over 350 cannon dating back over 600 years. The collection originated at HM Tower of London and has been on display in Hampshire since 1995.
- The Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson also tells the story of the Palmerston Forts, built to protect Portsmouth from a feared French invasion in the 1860’s.
- Every day, visitors can see one of the big guns fired in salute, watch our resident actors bring to life characters from 1,000 years of history, explore secret underground tunnels and enjoy incredible views from the ramparts. An extensive programme of special event spectaculars takes place throughout the year.
- Fort Nelson is open every day except 24-26 December. April to October 10am –5pm (Wed 11am-5pm), November – March 10.30am – 4pm (Wed 11.30-4pm).
- Admission to the Royal Armouries is FREE.
- Admission charges apply to some events.
- Information line: 01329 233734
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour with sites at Fort Nelson, Leeds, HM Tower of London and Louisville, Kentucky, USA.
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.
Primary PR Ltd.
Tel: 07838 379599