Positive about Disabled People - Monday, 21 May 2012
The Royal Armouries Museum has been awarded Disability Symbol accreditation in national recognition of its positive attitude towards employing disabled people.
JobCentre Plus made the award after the Royal Armouries demonstrated the necessary five commitments to recruitment, training, retention, consultation and disability awareness.
The symbol – comprising two ticks and the words “positive about disabled people” – will now be displayed on job adverts and application forms for the Royal Armouries’ three museums in Leeds, the Tower of London, and Fort Nelson in Hampshire.
HR manager Corina Burnett said, “The Royal Armouries is proud to have secured the symbol as it confirms our long-standing commitment to employ, retain and develop the abilities of our staff with disabilities, and to ensure everybody is treated fairly and as individuals. Where we can, we offer flexible working and do our best to adapt to people’s changing circumstances.”
The five commitments are:
- To interview all disabled applicants, who meet the minimum criteria for job vacancies and to consider them on their abilities.
- To carry out regular discussions with disabled employees to ensure they can develop and use their abilities fully.
- To make every effort when employees become disabled to help them stay in employment.
- To ensure that all employees develop their disability awareness to make these commitments work.
- To review commitments annually and to assess achievements, plus areas for improvement. To then inform colleagues and JobCentre Plus about progress and future plans.
The Royal Armouries is Britain’s oldest public museum.
Notes to editors
- Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour and has sites in Leeds, HM Tower of London, Fort Nelson and Louisville, Kentucky. It is the first British national museum to open a permanent presence in another country
- Admission to the museum is free. However, there may be a small charge for some special events.
- Open all year daily, 10am-5pm. Closed 24-25 December
- Information Line: 0113 220 1999
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.