Knights in Shining Armour to battle it out for The Tournament of the Griffin - Tuesday, 21 August 2012
Cheer on your favourite knight in shining armour as jousters clash head to head in an August Bank Holiday Tournament at the Royal Armouries Museum next weekend (August 25 to 27).
Visitors can experience all the thrills, spills and sheer excitement of authentic jousting, as knights don full armour and wield their lances in the battle to secure victory in the majestic Tournament of the Griffin.
Don’t miss the parade of knights, horses and heralds before the Grand Final on Bank Holiday Monday, with all the pomp and pageantry of a true medieval tournament. Come early each day and pick your favourite knight and watch them put their horses through their paces – including a variety of stunts and tricks.
The Tournament Weekend is the third and final event in Royal Armouries’ highly successful Weekend Warriors series this summer. The two earlier themed weekends – Robots and War Games – attracted bumper crowds.
This year’s Tournament is based around the symbol of the griffin – the mythical, legendary beast with the body of a lion and the head of a mighty bird of prey.
Museum Director Peter Armstrong said, “The great British public are renowned for their love of pomp and pageantry and for sheer spectacle it’s hard to beat the excitement and speed of the Tournament. The symbol of the griffin is especially significant at Royal Armouries as the beast’s head is depicted on the helmet at the entrance to our Tournament Gallery in Leeds, so it’s fitting to link our Bank Holiday event to its symbolism and imagery.”
Tickets are available either online, or from the museum on the day.
Prices are as follows:
Heats and semi-finals:
- Adults £5
- U16 £3
- Adults £6
- U16 £4
The Royal Armouries in Leeds is home to the national collection of arms and armour.
For more information, timings and to book please visit the website. (http://www.royalarmouries.org/events/events-at-leeds/calendar/2012-08-25/weekend-warriors-tournament)
For more information about the Royal Armouries visit:
Notes to editors
About the Royal Armouries
- Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour and has sites in Leeds, HM Tower of London, Fort Nelson and Louisville, Kentucky. It is the first British national museum to open a permanent presence in another country
- Admission to the museum is free. However, there may be a small charge for some special events.
- Open all year daily, 10am-5pm. Closed 24-25 December
- Information Line: 0113 220 1999
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.