Special Xmas Offer - Fire a 25-pounder Gun for £25 - Thursday, 26 November 2009
Are you looking for an explosive Christmas gift that’s guaranteed to make a special person’s day go off with a bang? Then the Royal Armouries Museum in Hampshire has just the answer.
Visitors are being invited to pull the firing handle and feel the power and might of a big gun during the daily gun firings at historic Fort Nelson, high on Portsdown Hill. This is normally an original Second World War 25-pounder gun howitzer.
During December, the Royal Armouries are offering the chance to fire the gun at a special price of £25. Funds raised will boost the museum, which houses the national collection of historic cannon and artillery, and is about to undergo a £3.5m revamp. Firings can be purchased as a gift voucher to be redeemed at any time during the year – with the recipient contacting the Fort to book a slot – or for individuals’ own use.
Firings take place daily seven days a week (apart from Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day) at 1pm in winter and 12 noon and 3pm in summer.
Ideal as a unique Christmas present or to mark any special occasion – or simply to fulfil the ambition of any enthusiast – the experience begins with a personal briefing on how to operate the gun in question.
In the case of the Second World War howitzer, this famous weapon saw action in many theatres of war – from the deserts of North Africa, at El Alamein, to the final successful Allied push for Victory in Europe.
Visitors will also have a chance to explore the amazing, 19-acre Victorian gun fort and its collection for the rest of the day. Attractions include underground tunnels, ramparts with spectacular views over Portsmouth Harbour, and daily performances by the Armouries’ team of professional actors, who make history come alive by re-enacting a series of episodes from the nation’s colourful history.
To purchase gift vouchers, or to book gun firings, please call 01329 848511.
Primary PR Ltd.
Tel: 07838 379599
Notes to editors
Reporters and photographers are welcome at the wreath laying ceremony at 11am (or at the craft sessions – please contact Primary PR to fix a time)
- The Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson houses the national collection of historic cannon and big guns. The museum houses one of the world’s finest collections with over 350 cannon dating back over 600 years. The collection originated at HM Tower of London and has been on display in Hampshire since 1995.
- The Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson also tells the story of the Palmerston Forts, built to protect Portsmouth from a feared French invasion in the 1860’s.
- Every day, visitors can see one of the big guns fired in salute, watch our resident actors bring to life characters from 1,000 years of history, explore secret underground tunnels and enjoy incredible views from the ramparts. An extensive programme of special event spectaculars takes place throughout the year.
- Fort Nelson is open every day except 24-26 December. April to October 10am –5pm (Wed 11am-5pm), November – March 10.30am – 4pm (Wed 11.30-4pm).
- Admission to the Royal Armouries is FREE.
- Admission charges apply to some events.
- Information line: 01329 233734
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour with sites at Fort Nelson, Leeds, HM Tower of London and Louisville, Kentucky, USA.
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.