For your convenience we are have created maps for you to download and print out.
To reach Fort Nelson by car, we recommend the following route:
1. Exit the M27 at junction 11.
2. Take the exit signposted for Gosport and Fareham.
3. Stay in the left-hand lane, this will take you down a slip road to a roundabout.
Landmark: A railway viaduct on your left.
4.At this roundabout take the first left turn, signposted A27 Portchester.
Landmark: Delme Arms Public House on left.
5. Stay in the left-hand lane.
6. Go through the first set of traffic lights.
7. At the second set take a left-hand turn into Down End Road.
8. Follow the road up and around for approximately ½ mile.
9. Fort Nelson will appear on your left-hand side.
Brown tourist signs for Royal Armouries will help guide you on this route.
Ensure a trouble free journey and check for the latest road traffic information at Highways England
There are two free car parks available at Fort Nelson.
Our main car park is directly outside of the visitors centre and contains 4 allocated parking spaces for visitors with disabilities, as well as standard parking spaces.
Please be aware that this car park can get busy at peak times.
There is also a second over-flow car park opposite the Fort, but this does involve crossing a busy road and climbing a number of steps to reach the visitor centre. This car park may be unsuitable for parties with mobility issues or young children.
At present there is no bus service to Fort Nelson.
The closest railway station is Portchester, which has regular trains running from the east (Portsmouth/Cosham/Havant) and from the West (Southampton/Fareham/Eastleigh). Taxis from Portchester station to Fort Nelson take approximately 5 minutes.
Other mainline stations nearby include:
- Fareham – 10 minutes away by taxi
- Havant – 20 minutes away by taxi
Taxi services are widely available in the local area.
Maps to museum
To read PDF documents you will need Adobe Reader.
If you do not currently have it installed you can download Adobe Reader for free.