Thom Richardson is the Keeper of Armour and Oriental Collections at the Royal Armouries Museum based in Leeds.
Thom Richardson FSA is Keeper of Armour and Oriental collections at the Royal Armouries in Leeds. He joined the staff of the Tower Armouries in 1984 having previously worked for the British Museum and Manchester City Art Gallery.
A former editor of the Journal of the Arms and Armour Society, he is author of numerous books and articles on armour and related subjects, including The medieval armour from Rhodes, co-written with the late Chip Karcheski, and winner of ICOMAM’s Justus Lipsius Prize in 2002.
- Introduction to the arms and armour of the Elizabethan court, Leeds, Royal Armouries, forthcoming
- Introduction to the arms and armour of the Islamic world, Leeds, Royal Armouries, forthcoming
- (with Graeme Rimer ) The Popham Armoury at Littlecote House, Leeds, Royal Armouries forthcoming
- (credited incorrectly to Graeme Rimer) Review of Tobias Capwell, ‘Masterpieces of European arms and armour in the Wallace Collection’, Arms & Armour 9.1, 2012: 87–8
- Royal Armouries acquisitions 2011, Arms & Armour 9.1, 2012: 89–95
- ‘Armourers’ tools in England’, Arms & Armour 9.1, 2012: 25–39
- Introduction and text for Carlo Paggiarino, The Royal Armouries, masterpieces of medieval and renaissance arms and armour, Milan, Hans Prunner, 2011
- ‘Armor, development of’, in G Martel (ed.), The Encyclopedia of War, Oxford, Wiley-Blackwell, 2011
- ‘Arms and armor from the Kofun period to the introduction of firearms’, in J Gabriel Barbier-Mueller (ed.), The Art of Armour, Samurai armor from the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller Collection, Paris, 2011: 91–8
- ‘Armour in England, 1325–99’, Journal of Medieval History 37, 2011: 304–20
- New acquisitions by the Royal Armouries, Arms & Armour 7.1, 2010: 104–7
- ‘The Witton-le Wear Sallet’, The Spring 2010 Park Lane Arms Fair, London, 2010:
To read PDF documents you will need Adobe Reader.
If you do not currently have it installed you can download Adobe Reader for free.