Heritage Lottery Fund gives £2 million to redevelop Fort Nelson - Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Heritage Lottery Fund Once Portsmouth’s protective barrier to French invasion in Victorian times and air attack during World War Two, Fort Nelson is now home to the national collection of historic artillery. With attractions of military might ranging from a 15th century Turkish bombard, cannon captured at the Battle of Waterloo, and more recently Saddam Hussein’s infamous Supergun, in the near future the Fort will give visitors an even more exciting experience, thanks to a grant of almost £2 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF).

The confirmed grant* to Royal Armouries will see improved visitor facilities, galleries and provide state-of-the-art education opportunities at the Fort, perched on Portsdown Hill overlooking Portsmouth Harbour and the Meon Valley.

Built in the 1860’s on the orders of Prime Minister Lord Palmerston, the Fort was part of a chain of fortifications to protect Portsmouth and its naval base from a feared French invasion. However, it was pressed into service during the First World War as a transit camp for troops embarking for Europe and again during the Second World War when, supplying ammunition to anti-aircraft batteries, it once more protected Portsmouth dockyard, this time from German bombers.

Royal Armouries Museum Director Peter Armstrong said:

“This Heritage Lottery Fund grant and the vital match-funding awards are a fantastic boost to the ambitious re-development programme which will bring the Fort’s history to life by ensuring a quality experience that will continue to inform, challenge and entertain our visitor base whilst providing much-needed additional capacity to meet visitor demand.”

For the Heritage Lottery Fund, Head of HLF South East England Stuart McLeod said:

“Royal Armouries has had this redevelopment in its sights for some time and we are delighted to support this exciting project that will create improved displays, better information, superb education facilities and an excellent and memorable experience for visitors, researchers and schoolchildren.”

The money will be used to transform the Scheduled Ancient Monument by introducing new and better-equipped visitor facilities, which will allow even more people to enjoy this free heritage attraction and its historic collection.

The attraction saw visitor numbers more than double between 2000 and 2005, and there is a need to ensure that all visitors have the widest possible access to Fort Nelson in order to understand the site’s social history and environment, the communities it was built to protect and the historical importance of its collections. New galleries will bring these stories to life as well as providing a fitting home for the national collection of artillery and historic cannon.

The main projects included in the refurbishment comprise:

In addition to the HLF grant, progress has also been made with the campaign to raise the additional £1.5 million match-funding needed to realise the project. Since a generous lead pledge by the Garfield Weston Foundation, numerous funders have been inspired to follow suit with the total added to just last month by an £87,000 grant from the DCMS / Wolfson Foundation Galleries Improvement Fund – a vital ‘shot in the arm’ for the development.

The Fort Nelson free museum will remain open throughout the building phase in 2010, with an exciting programme of seasonal special events as well as all the daily features visitors have come to expect.

...ENDS...

Media contacts

Vicky Wilford
HLF press office
020 7591 6046 / 07973 401937
vickyw@hlf.org.uk

Phil Cooper
HLF press office
07889 949173

Catherine Kelly/Joss Loader
Primary PR Ltd.
01903 783832 / 07704 130226 / 07838 379599
info@primarypr.co.uk

Notes to editors

Website: www.royalarmouries.org.uk

Website: www.hlf.org.uk

Download the PDF press release.