PUTTING THE GREAT INTO BRITAIN - Monday, 10 September 2012
Royal Armouries has joined forces with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to help promote Great Britain.
As Britain’s oldest public museum, Royal Armouries is supporting the FCO’s GREAT campaign, aimed at encouraging overseas visitors to view the UK as a first-class destination to visit, study and work.
Royal Armouries – which has its historic home as the Tower of London – forms an integral part of GB’s heritage and museum staff have supported the FCO’s initiative during the Olympics and Diamond Jubilee Year.
A highlight included loaning items from the Replica Crown Jewels for an exhibition in the Durbar Room at the Foreign Office buildings in King Charles Street, London.
On Thursday (30 August), Bridget Clifford, Keeper of Tower Armouries, gave a presentation about Royal Armouries and the national collection of arms and armour.
The presentation was delivered to FCO executives to strengthen relations and give their staff an insight into Royal Armouries’ collection in the Tower.
Bridget said, “This was a wonderful opportunity to talk about our work at the Tower, in the hope that this will be passed on to the ambassadors and diplomats who will be entertaining visitors to Great Britain. This country is a great place to invest and do business, and we’re delighted to have supported the FCO in this way.”
For more information about the Royal Armouries visit:
Notes to editors
About the Royal Armouries
- Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour and has sites in Leeds, HM Tower of London, Fort Nelson and Louisville, Kentucky. It is the first British national museum to open a permanent presence in another country
- Admission to the museum is free. However, there may be a small charge for some special events.
- Open all year daily, 10am-5pm. Closed 24-25 December
- Information Line: 0113 220 1999
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.