A Right Royal Affair - Thursday, 7 June 2012
Join the Mayor of Winchester, Cllr Frank Pearson, on Bank Holiday Monday (June 4), when the Royal Armouries at Fort Nelson honours HM The Queen with a 21-gun salute.
Uniformed gunners will perform the salute at 2pm as part of Royal Week (June 4 to 10) at the Victorian Fort – home to the national collection of big guns. Museum admission and parking are free.
Other free events throughout the week include daily gun firings at 12 noon and 3pm, plus a Kings and Queens’ trail showcasing most of the museum’s Royal Treasures.
Kids can get crafty in the children’s activity area – including a chance to make their own shield or crown to take away. They can also create a portrait of The Queen for the Fort’s gallery, and explain what they would do if they were the monarch for a day (£2 per child, 10.30am to 3.30pm).
There’s also a chance to bombard Bad King John in his Castle, with mini catapults (£1 for 5 shots, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday).
Café 1871 will be providing Jubilee street party-themed food, plus cream teas.
Fort Nelson underwent a £3.5m transformation last year, supported by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Other attractions include new galleries, telling the story of Fort Nelson – plus the Voice of the Guns gallery, housing 14 of the most iconic exhibits in the national collection. There’s also a 19-acre Fort to explore, including original tunnels and ramparts.
For more information and the latest news about the Royal Armouries:
Notes to editors
- Royal Armouries is the national museum of arms and armour and has sites in Leeds, HM Tower of London, Fort Nelson and Louisville, Kentucky. It is the first British national museum to open a permanent presence in another country
- Admission to the museum is free. However, there may be a small charge for some special events.
- Open all year daily, 10am-5pm. Closed 24-25 December
- Information Line: 0113 220 1999
- Website: www.royalarmouries.org
- The Royal Armouries Museum should not be confused with Royal Armouries International plc, the private sector corporate hospitality business.