Interpreting battlefield finds: Making the most of museums
Saturday 11 June 2011 at Leeds
- Starts at: 9:00am Saturday 11 June 2011
- Finishes at: 5:30pm Saturday 11 June 2011
- Suitable for: Adults 18+
- Event type: Conference
Royal Armouries Conference in association with The Battlefields Trust
Venue: Royal Armouries Museum, Leeds
Date: Saturday 11 June 2011
Tickets: £35 (including lunch), £25 (without lunch)
Concessions: (60+ and students): £20 (including lunch), £10 (without lunch)
This interactive study day will examine the process of interpreting pieces recovered from battlefield sites and especially how to tap in to the wealth of expert knowledge in the field of the study of arms and armour.
It will highlight the range of assistance that museum curators and arms and armour specialists can offer archaeologists, military historians and indeed anyone who has an interest in interpreting material discovered through battlefield excavations.
Archaeologists and historians eminent in the field of the study of battlefields and related sites will discuss aspects of the role which can be played by museum collections and staff in helping interpret objects recovered from them. They will tackle a wide variety of fascinating topics covering the period from the Norman Conquest to World War One and sites including the battles of Fulford (1066) and Towton (1461), an Elizabethan wreck off Alderney and The Somme.
The conference will also offer a unique opportunity to examine and discuss battlefield related pieces from the Royal Armouries collections.
A registration form is available to download as a PDF or you can book your place by telephoning 0113 220 1888.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The organiser (Royal Armouries) will take all reasonable precautions for the security of visitors, their property and luggage, but cannot be held liable for any loss, injury, damage, accident, delay or inconvenience to any person and/or his/her property whatever the cause or reason.
- The organiser retains the right to change either the programme, and/or speakers without notification.
- In the event of low delegate numbers, the organiser reserves the right to cancel the conference and refund all monies paid; this shall be the full extent of our liability.
- Cancellation Policy – cancellations received in writing before Friday 3 June 2011 will secure a full refund, less half of the registration fee paid. No refunds can be made for cancellations received after Friday 3 June 2011 for any reason.